Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Flowers of My Life

Now and then
Think of you and me
Forever friends forever will be
Time is changin'
But nothing's to be blamed
Cos our heart forever sing
- (Half Rap) Chorus lyrics from the song Friendship found
in Leo Ku's compilation album titled Having You On This Day


Looking back on life, friends did come and go. Since there were no formal "hellos", there were no definite "goodbyes." Yet, there were unspoken promises to keep in touch. But, did anyone really?

When meeting new friends, I often reflect about old ones, wondering how they are and what they are up to. How are you, old friends? Do you still remember me?

There are two shoeboxes filled with hand written letters from friends that I have kept over the years. One even goes as far back as elementary school days. Whenever I place in a new letter, I start to read a few of the old ones.

The presence of friends is like a breath of spring bringing blooms of happiness, an early summer sun brightening the day, an autumn night's wind blowing away all woes and lastingly festive winter time bringing about joy. Their presence is for a purpose. They are there for me. And, I’m there with them.

As a novice gardener, I did learn that annuals need to be re-planting every year while perennials come back years after years. Yet, they both require fertilizing, watering and especially, caring.

Here, in the Northeast, the weather is changing through out the year. Pleasantly springtime soon leads to a glaringly hot summer. Just as colorful autumn leaves fall off the trees, the harshly cold winter begins. Plants need to be protected to cope with whatever nature brings.

As early as autumn, flowering buds of some trees already are measurable in size. It is always a thrill to see spring bulbs coming up through the ground dusting with snow falling late in winter. Noticing them, one would picture a vibrant palette of flowers and greens that is not necessarily seen only in spring and summer.

My friends are flowers of my life. They are in my heart and I do think in caring for them. I thank them for being there, even only for a brief moment.

How do we keep in touch? Truthfully, it might not be possible in the today world. But, it’s still worth trying to do whatever we can. Or else, let’s take a little time in our day to think of each other.


*Photo courtesy of Microsoft Office Online
(Re-edited by Mei using Picasa2 and Microsoft Office Picture Manager)

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE RESPECT ONE'S WORK BY CITING THE ORIGINAL SOURCE.