Friday, December 2, 2011

I am Walking

Words by: Mei
Sing to the tune of “Happiness Is Here And Now”


Oh, the sun is shining on my shoulders
And the wind blows past by my ears
I am walking, I’m hearing...
The leaves rustling in the wind.
(The birds chirping on the trees.)

The Morning Sun
Photo by Mei (edited with CinemaScope by Picnik)

I’m walking, my feet kiss the earth*
I’m seeing a sea of greens
The green grasses are swaying
As if they are waving to me.
(They are saying "Hello!" to me.)

Oh, what joy that I am walking
There's nothing to worry about!
I feel happy and I'm smiling...
At the beautiful scenery.
(At the sight and sound of nature.)

* In reference to Thich Nhat Hanh's teaching "walk as if you are kissing the earth with your feet" that I recalled from listening in to the retreat orientation Dharma talk given at Blue Cliff Monastery on October 5, 2011.

Writer’s Notes:
Chance Encountered the "Basket of Plums" - Back Stories
While I was browsing for Thich Nhat Hanh books on Parallax Press, I stumbled upon the songbook with two CD sets titled Basket of Plums: Songs in the Tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh.

Having listened to the Vietnamese songs and chants from Drops of Emptiness CD, I took a great interest in the 2 CD recordings of music and words for the practice of mindfulness in English.

Upon receiving the Basket of Plums CDs, I was immediately feeling enchanted by the angelic take on the first track, Happiness Is Here And Now, musically, vocally and mindfully.

Learning to Walk Mindfully - An Inspiration for the Words
As I’m learning on how to walk mindfully, those last 15 minutes or so of an one hour lunch break at work are very precious to me. Whenever there is a chance and that the weather permits, I always like to go outside and take a walk.

Whether taking a stroll around the two-building complex on the company's campus or walking up the trail on a small hill over looking the municipal park, I feel happy and free.

Coming back after attending the Vietnamese September 2011 “Open the Door of the Heart” retreat, I continue to put my walking meditation into practice.

While I was softly saying the words of Happiness Is Here And Now and quietly humming to the accompanied tune during a walk on that one afternoon in early October, the above set of verses came to mind, promptly recounting my joyous experience of getting in touch with nature right then, at that moment.

I am Walking - Thoughts and Reflections
The sun, the wind, the leaves, the birds, the earth and the green grasses are all there... To be able to see and appreciate the wonders of nature are of great joy.

Those simple steps bring such happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE RESPECT ONE'S WORK BY CITING THE ORIGINAL SOURCE.