Saturday, January 9, 2010

Paper Cranes

Whenever a co-worker at work stopped by my cubicle to hand over an interesting piece of note paper with written task information, I use to fold a paper crane to give back in return once the job is done.


Treasure + Appreciation
Photo by Mei

Some would say it’s a hobby while the others would see it as a show off. Personally, it’s just something that I simply like to do. Until recently, it occurs to me perhaps there is something else. . .

Looking back, I have always admired at someone else’s folded up paper crane, an object that is so peaceful to look at. Thinking origami skill is something difficult to master, I never asked and/or learned. But one day, I finally tried my hand at folding origami.

As a novice folder, I learned the basics by folding the easy objects first before taking on what I considered, at the time, the “super task” of folding the paper crane. My first crane wasn’t successful. The crane turned out okay or rather decent looking, but I didn’t feel a sense of accomplishment in comparison to those blissful memories I spent folding paper stars together with my sister cousin. I felt much love and happiness then.

Sometimes after, I was busying myself with the day-to-day work activities and only returning back to origami folding in my free time. Freeing my head from rambling thoughts and just concentrating on a fold by fold basic without hurrying it through, the result is that it’s the same crane. However, I feel much peace and joy; a sense of contentment and satisfaction as I realize the lesson learned. To accomplish a goal is not a matter of getting there, but the path on which one tread to accomplish that goal.

And for those paper cranes (and sometimes lucky paper stars) that I love to fold in giving away, they are small tokens of my peace, love, happiness and joy to share to with friends whom I treasure and truly appreciate.

Writer’s Note:
Paper Cranes’ “Treasure + Appreciation” is the second photo in the Camera Phone series that I took with my mobile.

Yes, it took me almost 2 years to allow myself in using camera phone to capture photography which I once thought it would be best to done with an “actual” camera. I’m now falling in love with the photos that I have taken using my camera phone lately; not for its megapixel quality, but for the quality of the photographs capturing special moments in time.

This particular moment is when I first noticed at my “back” cube neighbor’s white board, which corner donning my flock of paper cranes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE RESPECT ONE'S WORK BY CITING THE ORIGINAL SOURCE.